All questions and answers on the subject "Certification"

Are there any costs for downloading the IAPM PM Guides?

Accessing the PM Guides is free of charge. There are no fees.

Between which options I can select if I do not fulfill the requirements for the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

If you do not meet the admission requirements for certification as a Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM), i.e. not yet a certificate holder of a prerequisite IAPM certificate, you have the option of obtaining one of the qualifying certifications (Cert. Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM)) and then, on the basis of this certification, apply for certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM). However, if you already have an adequate certificate from another certification organisation, you can register for IAPM certificate recognition. If your certificate is recognized, you hereby have the admission requirement for the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM).

Can I also have an already "expired" certificate recognized by the IAPM via certificate recognition?

IAPM's point of view is that at the time of the test you have proven your knowledge and that your certificate do not forfeit such as a university diploma, high school diploma or driver's licence. That is the reason why it is possible to recognize an expired certificate as well.

Can I build on my IAPM certificate acquired through a certificate recognition?

Yes, you can use your recognized IAPM certificate as a basis for certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM). Prerequisite for certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) is the holding of a certificate as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM). A certificate as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) is not sufficient for certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM).

Can I choose the test language regardless of my citizenship?

Yes, the indication of your citizenship is not connected to the selection of the test language. You can choose the test language German, English or Portuguese, regardless of your citizenship.

Differences between traditional and agile project management

Generally, there are two main approaches in project management. In traditional project management, the quality/performance parameters, the timeframe, and the budget are set prior to planning. Then the project is planned and executed in a linear way. E.g. the project plan is developed on the basis of the project specification (here the project delivery is written down) or the set parameters are controlled and monitored with project management methods (like stakeholder or risk analysis). Usually, this approach is used for construction projects, organisational projects or projects with precise goals or a clear target setting. Agile project management on the other hand is a set of methods and process models (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, Extreme Programming) which helps realising projects (mainly) in software development. Here the project goals are highly variable and often can’t be formulated clearly at project start-up (e.g. maybe you don’t know all the functions and features of a program or an app, so you just specify what you know now and let the big picture clear itself over time). Here the role of a traditional project manager doesn’t exist anymore, and the project team is self-organised. Also, the budget and the timeframe are usually not fixed at the beginning. Agile approaches are mostly iterative and more flexible than traditional procedures.

Do I need any work experience to pass the Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

To get the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification, there are no requirements concerning professional experience. For this certification, you need profund knowledge of agile project management.

Do I need any work experience to pass the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

No. Experience does not have to be proven, but is an advantage for passing the certification exam, especially in the context of international projects. The prerequisite for admission to certification is a successfully completed certification. as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM). However, if you already have an adequate certificate from another certification organisation, you can register for IAPM certificate recognition. If your certificate is recognized, you hereby have the admission requirement for the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM).

Do I need any work experience to pass the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

To get the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification, there are no requirements concerning professional experience. For this certification, you need interest in the subject and the willingness to appropriate knowledge.

Do I need any work experience to pass the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

To get the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification, there are no requirements concerning professional experience. For this certification, you need interest in the subject and the willingness to deepen knowledge.

Do I need any work experience to pass the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

To get the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification, there are no requirements concerning professional experience. For this certification, you need profund knowledge of project management.

Do I need any work experience to pass the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Yes, in addition to expertise, the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) requires at least five years of project management experience, three years of those in a management position or a position with considerable responsibility.

Do I need any work experience to pass the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Yes, in addition to expertise, the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) requires at least five years of project management experience, three years of those in a management position or a position with considerable responsibility.

How can an IAPM certification positively influence my professional career?

IAPM certifications are objective, valid worldwide and internationally recognized. As an individual, a certification brings you objective confirmation of your knowledge and experience and thus advantages on the job market. Your market value increases and you have better chances for a position in project management. A company that has its employees certified has clear competitive advantages when preparing offers. Companies whose employees are demonstrably competent in project management are more likely to be hired. In addition, all team members speak the same language because the Project Managers' Guide (IAPM) standardises terms and methods. Misunderstandings due to different interpretations of PM terms are thus avoided. IAPM certificate surveys showed that about a quarter of respondents increased their salary or changed their position in the company after certification.

How can I have a certificate from another certification body recognized by the IAPM?

You upload your certificate with all your personal information here, which is verified by a certified IAPM trainer. If your certificate complies with IAPM requirements, you can sign up for the certification that corresponds to your certificate. This step is necessary because of organisational reasons. You do not need to retake a certification exam. You will receive an invoice for the processing fee after signing up. Once you have settled the invoice, you will receive your corresponding IAPM certificate by e-mail and you may retain your certificate from the other project management organisation. If the certificate recognition is refused, you will not be charged. Please note: The recognition of certificates of participation/ completion or certificates which were achieved without an examination is not possible.

How do I register for a certification?

If you feel well prepared for your certification exam, sign up for the certification application form. Fill in the form with your personal data and confirm the acknowledgment of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. More details can be found at the registration. After submitting the application, your data will be checked and you will receive your invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After your payment, you will receive your IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and the access link with which you can register for the exam. You have 12 months from the receipt of the invoice to take the exam.

How do I register for the appropriate self-test associated with my certification?

You can register for your self-test using the online registration form on our website. After sending the registration you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive by e-mail your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and your access link. This allows you to register for the self-test. From receipt of the invoice you have 12 months time to take the self-test.

How do I register for the Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

For certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) register on our website. To do this, fill in the application form. In addition to your personal data, you confirm your acceptance of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. After sending the registration your data will be checked and you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and your access link by e-mail. This allows you to register for the exam. You have 12 months from receipt of the invoice to take the exam.

How do I register for the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

For certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) register on our website. To do this, fill in the application form. In addition to your personal data, you confirm your acceptance of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. After sending the registration your data will be checked and you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and your access link by e-mail. This allows you to register for the exam. You have 12 months from receipt of the invoice to take the exam.

How do I register for the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

For certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) register on our website. To do this, you fill out the corresponding application form. In addition to your personal data, you confirm your acceptance of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. Please note: If you are interested in certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM), you are automatically registered for the pre-test. You can use the pre-test as exam preparation, but you do not have to. After sending the registration your data will be checked and you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and two access links, one for the pre-test and one for the actual certification. This allows you to register for the pre-test and the exam. You have 12 months from receipt of the invoice to pass the pre-test and the inspection.

How do I register for the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

For certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) register on our website. To do this, you fill out the corresponding application form. In addition to your personal data, you confirm your acceptance of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. Please note: If you are interested in certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM), you are automatically registered for the pre-test. You can use the pre-test as exam preparation, but you do not have to. After sending the registration your data will be checked and you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and two access links, one for the pre-test and one for the actual certification. This allows you to register for the pre-test and the exam. You have 12 months from receipt of the invoice to pass the pre-test and the certification exam.

How do I register for the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

For certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) register on our website. To do this, fill in the application form. In addition to your personal data, you confirm your acceptance of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. After sending the registration your data will be checked and you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and your access link by e-mail. This allows you to register for the exam. After receipt of the invoice you have 12 months time to takte the exam.

How do I register for the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

For certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) register on our website. To do this, fill in the application form. In addition to your personal data, you confirm your acceptance of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. After sending the registration your data will be checked and you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and your access link by e-mail. This allows you to register for the exam. You have 12 months from receipt of the invoice to take the exam.

How do I register for the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

For certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) register on our website. To do this, fill in the application form. In addition to your personal data, you confirm your acceptance of the IAPM guidelines and the affidavit. After sending the registration your data will be checked and you will receive the corresponding invoice. This must be paid within 10 days. After receipt of payment you will receive your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and your access link by e-mail. This allows you to register for the exam. You have 12 months from receipt of the invoice to take the exam.

How do I register for the Pre-Test for the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

With the registration for the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification you automatically register for the pre-test, which is included in the price. You will then receive two access links via e-mail as well as two personal IAPM Identification Codes (IAPMICs), a link and code for the pre-test and one for the actual certification exam. The links are valid for 12 months after receiving the invoice.

How do I register for the pre-test for the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

With the registration for the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification you automatically register for the pre-test, which is included in the price. You will then receive two access links via e-mail as well as two personal IAPM Identification Codes (IAPMICs), a link and code for the pre-test and one for the actual certification exam. The links are valid for 12 months after receiving the invoice.

How long do I have time to take the Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Once you have received your invoice, you will have 12 months to take your exam for the certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM).

How long do I have time to take the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Once you have received your invoice, you will have 12 months to take your exam for the certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM).

How long do I have time to take the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Once you have received your invoice, you will have 12 months to take your exam for the certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM).

How long do I have time to take the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

As soon as you have received your invoice, you have 12 months time to take the exam to the certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM).

How long do I have time to take the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Once you have received your invoice, you will have 12 months to take your exam for certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM).

How long do I have time to take the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Once you have received your invoice, you will have 12 months to take your exam for the certification as Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM).

How long do I have time to take the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

Once you have received your invoice, you will have 12 months to take your exam for the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification.

How long is an IAPM certificate valid?

Your certificate is valid a lifetime, such as a university degree or high school diploma. Each certificate documents the level of knowledge of the examinee at the time of the test acceptance. The IAPM believes that every responsible project manager independently expands his knowledge and experience. The IAPM does not see itself as a supervisory body. For this reason, it deliberately avoids costly and time-consuming recertifications.

How many questions do I have to answer in the Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

The Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam requires 120 questions to be answered within 80 minutes. To pass you will need to complete 65% of the questions correctly

How many questions do I have to answer in the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

The Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam requires 80 questions to be answered within 60 minutes. To pass you will need to complete 65% of the questions correctly.

How many questions do I have to answer in the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

The Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam requires 40 questions to be answered within 35 minutes, and you have to complete 65% correctly of the questions to pass the test.

How many questions do I have to answer in the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

The Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam requires 40 questions to be answered within 35 minutes, and you'll need to complete 65% correctly of the questions to pass the test.

How many questions do I have to answer in the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

The Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam requires 120 questions to be answered within 80 minutes. To pass you will need to answer 65% of the questions correctly.

How many questions do I have to answer in the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam?

The Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam requires 120 questions to be answered within 80 minutes. To pass you will need to complete 65% of the questions correctly

How many questions do I have to answer properly in order to pass the exam to the certiciation as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM)?

The Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam requires 120 questions to be answered within 80 minutes. To pass you will need to complete 65% of the questions correctly.

How many questions of the Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam do I have to answer properly, to pass?

To pass the Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam, you must answer 65% of the 120 questions correctly within 80 minutes.

How many questions of the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam do I have to answer properly, to pass?

To pass the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam, you must  answer 65% of the 80 questions correctly within 60 minutes.

How many questions of the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam do I have to answer properly, to pass?

To pass the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam, you must  answer 65% of the 40 questions correctly within 35 minutes.

How many questions of the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam do I have to answer properly, to pass?

To pass the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam, you must  answer 65% of the 40 questions correctly within 35 minutes.

How many questions of the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam do I have to answer properly, to pass?

To pass the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam, you must answer 65% of the 120 questions correctly within 80 minutes.

How many questions of the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam do I have to answer properly, to pass?

To pass the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam, you must  answer 65% of the 120 questions correctly within 80 minutes.

How many questions of the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam do I have to answer properly, to pass?

To pass the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification exam, you must  answer 65% of the 120 questions correctly within 80 minutes.

How much does it cost to repeat a certification exam?

To repeat a certification exam, you must re-enroll for certification. The cost of the test will be re-incurred. If you do not pass this exam, there will be a waiting period of 12 months. If you fail the test again, you will not be eligible for IAPM certification exams and will not be able to repeat it again.

How much does the recognition of a certificate via IAPM certificate recognition cost?

The cost of the certificate recognition depends on the type of you current certification and your citizenship. You can calculate the cost of recognizing your certificate here. Please note: The recognition of certificates of participation/ completion or certificates which were achieved without an examination is not possible.

How to determine whether my experience meets the requirements for the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

When registering for certification as Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) you will be asked to provide your project history. Based on the individual project data - a maximum of five projects can be named for scoring - and the project experience of the last five years, a total score is determined using a mathematical formula. A minimum score must be achieved for admission to certification as Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM). If this is not achieved, only an approval for certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) possible.

How to determine whether my experience meets the requirements for the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

When registering for certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) you will be asked to provide your project history. Based on the individual project data - a maximum of five projects can be named for scoring - and the project experience of the last five years, a total score is determined using a mathematical formula. A minimum score must be achieved for admission to certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM). If this is not achieved, only an approval for certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) possible.

How to get an IAPM certification?

You prepare for your certification according to your desired method (preparation training and/or self-study). To check your level of knowledge, you can take a charged self-test online. To do so, please register via our website. You will then receive the corresponding invoice for the self-test. After payment of the invoice you will receive the access details and can pass your self-test. The IAPM evaluates it and sends you the result by e-mail, as well as information on the subject areas in which deficits still need to be compensated. If you feel sufficiently prepared, register for your certification. After checking your application you will receive your invoice. After payment of the invoice you will receive your access details for your certification by e-mail. You have six months from receipt of your access details to take your exam. After successfully passing the exam, you will receive your lifelong certificate by e-mail.  If you plan to get the certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM), the self-test is called "pre-test". This is already included in the certification fee for the certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM). There is only one registration for pre-test and certification and therefore only one invoice. However, you will receive two access links, one for the pre-test and one for your certification.

I entered the wrong name during registration, what should I do?

Your certificate will be generated based on the exact information you provided during registration. If you made a mistake during the registration process, which you notice only after payment or when you receive your certificate, please send us an email to support@iapm-cert.net including the following information: IAPMIC Wrong name, which was entered during registration Your correct name     We will then manually adjust your registration. Please note that the processing fee for this is 20 CHF. We therefore recommend that you check your registration information again carefully before submitting them to us. If you notice the mistake before you have paid (e.g. on your invoice), please register again and note the following as a comment: "Second registration due to incorrect first registration" In this case, your first registration will not be processed further. This will not lead to any additional fees for you. If you do not wish to register a second time, we can adjust your name manually - in this case, please proceed as described above. If you decide to let your name adjust manually, a processing fee of 20 CHF will be charged as well.   If your certificate is changed manually after it has been issued, then the current date will appear on the new certificate, which is not customisable.

I have already registered for a certification exam/ self-test, but will not be able to take the test in the near future. Which are my options?

The time slot starts from the day of registration. You have 12 months from this day to take the test. A further extension is possible for a fee of 35 CHF per test. If you have cooperated with a training partner, this or your HR department have to extend the period.  If you have registered on your own for the respective test without a training partner, please contact our support team. In both cases, you must already have been registered in the IAPM system and submit your IAPMIC to the IAPM for the extension process.

I'm interested in a project management certification. What's the difference between the IAPM and the IPMA?

The International Association of Project Managers (IAPM) is a certification organisation like the PMI, IPMA, Scrum Alliance and others. Due to the various certification options, job advertisements often refer to "certification according to IPMA, PMI or similar". For Germany, the  Procurement Office of the Federal Ministry of the Interior has further specified "or similar". The IAPM is recognized as a certification organisation in official calls for tenders by the Federal Government, alongside the PMI and IPMA, and, for example, certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) is a basic requirement for the management of projects.   The IAPM is not specialised in one field of project management but is offering certifications in traditional, agile and international project management. But this fact is not the only difference between the IAPM and other certification organisations. Further benefits are described below:   IAPM’s certification fees are based on the GDP of the nation according to the nationality of the examinee. This characteristic makes certification affordable for a wide range of people – independent of their nationality. IAPM’s certification exam is held online, like it's done for example at the MIT Massachusetts Institute of Technology or Stanford University. The advantage is that examinees can take the exam anytime and anywhere they want to. The only requirement is an internet-ready device (PC, smartphone, tablet, or similar) and a stable internet connection. Due to this, examinees are very flexible, and an objective evaluation of the exam is guaranteed. Similar to university degrees IAPM’s certificates don't need to be updated, i.e. there is no obligation to spend time or money in a re-certification process. With this, the IAPM has responded to one of the central demands of international human resources managers and human resources developers. This characteristic saves the examinee both time and money. The IAPM is not a project management but a project manager organisation. IAPM focuses always in project manager – we are people-centered!

I'm interested in a project management certification. What's the difference between the IAPM and the PMI?

The International Association of Project Managers (IAPM) is a certification organisation like the PMI, IPMA, Scrum Alliance and others. Due to the various certification options, job advertisements often refer to "certification according to IPMA, PMI or similar". For Germany, the  Procurement Office of the Federal Ministry of the Interior has further specified "or similar". The IAPM is recognized as a certification organisation in official calls for tenders by the Federal Government, alongside the PMI and IPMA, and, for example, certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) is a basic requirement for the management of projects.   The IAPM is not specialised in one field of project management but is offering certifications in traditional, agile and international project management. But this fact is not the only difference between the IAPM and other certification organisations.  Further benefits are described below: IAPM’s certification fees are based on the GDP of the nation according to the nationality of the examinee. This characteristic makes certification affordable for a wide range of people – independent of their nationality. IAPM’s certification exam is held online, like it's done for example at the MIT Massachusetts Institute of Technology or Stanford University. The advantage is that examinees can take the exam anytime and anywhere they want to. The only requirement is an internet-ready device (PC, smartphone, tablet, or similar) and a stable internet connection. Due to this, examinees are very flexible, and an objective evaluation of the exam is guaranteed. Similar to university degrees IAPM’s certificates don't need to be updated, i.e. there is no obligation to spend time or money in a re-certification process. With this, the IAPM has responded to one of the central demands of international human resources managers and human resources developers. This characteristic saves the examinee both time and money. The IAPM is not a project management but a project manager organisation. IAPM focuses always in project manager – we are people-centered!

My name is misspelled on the certificate, what should I do?

Your certificate will be generated based on the exact information you provided during registration. If you made a mistake during the registration process, which you notice only after payment or when you receive your certificate, please send us an email to support@iapm-cert.net including the following information: IAPMIC Wrong name, which is noted on the certificate  Your correct name    We will then manually adjust your certificate. Please note that the processing fee for this is 20 CHF. We therefore recommend that you check your registration information again carefully before submitting them to us. If you notice the mistake before you have paid (e.g. on your invoice), please register again and note the following as a comment: "Second registration due to incorrect first registration". In this case, your first registration will not be processed further. This will not lead to any additional fees for you. If you do not wish to register a second time, we can adjust your name manually - in this case, please proceed as described above. If you decide to let your name adjust manually, a processing fee of 20 CHF will be charged as well.   If your certificate is changed manually after it has been issued, then the current date will appear on the new certificate, which is not customisable.

To whom are the 20% discount on IAPM certifications applied to?

The 20% discount applies to pupils, students and active members of aid organisations or associations such as Red Cross, Unicef, etc. Excluded from the discount are the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) and Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certifications. Those are entry-level certifications and preferred by young people studying or reorienting their careers. This certifications are already offered by the IAPM at a particularly favorable price, to which no discount can be granted. We also cannot grant a discount to Cert. Project Management Trainer (IAPM) certifications.

To whom is the certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) addressed?

The certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) is aimed at all those who have basic, comprehensive knowledge in project management. This knowledge enables you to plan, organise and carry out a project theoretically well. Work experience is not necessary, but an advantage.

To whom is the certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) addressed?

This certification level is aimed specifically at project managers who wish to have their knowledge of project management in the context of international projects confirmed. Experience does not have to be proven, but is an advantage for passing the certification exam, especially in the context of international projects. Prerequisite for certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) is a successfully taken certification exam or certificate recognition by the IAPM (with the exception of certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) and Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM)).

To whom is the certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) addressed?

The certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) is just the right thing for project management beginners, students or newcomers to project management who want to have their basic project management knowledge documented in order to set the course for their future in project management.

To whom is the certification Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) addressed?

The certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) is aimed at all those who have a basic comprehensive knowledge of agile project management. This knowledge enables you to theoretically organise and execute an agile project well. Work experience is not necessary, but an advantage.

To whom is the certification Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) addressed?

The certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) is just the right thing for project management beginners, students or newcomers to project management who want to have their basic project management knowledge documented in order to set the course for their future in project management.

To whom is the certification Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) addressed?

The certification as Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) is aimed at people who want to have their theoretical knowledge and practical experience in agile project management certified. Admission to certification requires a proof of at least 5 years of professional experience in agile project management, three years of those in a management position or a position with considerable scope of responsibility.

To whom is the certification Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) addressed?

The certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) is aimed at people who wish to have their theoretical knowledge and practical experience in project management certified. For admission to certification, proof of at least 5 years of professional experience is required, three of them in a position with considerable responsibility in project management.

What are the certification policies of IAPM?

Here you can have a look at the IAPM certification guidelines: Traditional Project Management Agile Project Management International Project Management

What are the PM Guides of the IAPM?

The respective PM Guide is a guide that lists and discusses all the topics that are needed as a basis for carrying out a traditional, agile or international project. Moreover, the guides also provide the educational requirements of the respective IAPM certification. To prepare for the exam, we recommend that you learn the topics listed in the PM Guide in more depth. To do this, you can research online, read the recommended literature, (if available: use the web-learning platform) or get trained by one of our training partners.

What are the requirements for a "Certified Project Management Trainer (IAPM)" certificate?

If you want to train people for traditional IAPM certifications (Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM), Certified Project Manager (IAPM), Certified Senior Project Manager (IAPM)) you will have to obtain Certified Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification (with a score of at least 75%).    If you want to train people for agile IAPM certifications (Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager, Certified Agile Project Manager (IAPM), Certified Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM)) you will have to obtain Certified Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification (with a score of at least 75%).   If you want to train people for international IAPM certifications (Certified International Project Manager (IAPM)) you will have to obtain Certified International Project Manager (IAPM) certification (with a score of at least 75%).    Then click here to register for "Certified Project Management Trainer (IAPM ) certification in the field that you want to provide training in. Now you have to provide proof of your training experience. You will be requested to provide the following information in a form:   The number of hours that you have worked as trainer/lecturer/teacher etc. in the past five years. A list of 5 courses with course name and content, number of participants and reference provider, duration and client. Total number of course participants (approx.). You can also request the IAPM to recognize an equivalent certificate from another project management association. However, if you opt for certificate recognition, you will still have to take the relevant IAPM examination and achieve a score of at least 75%. The examination fee is included in the trainer fee. You do not incur any additional costs for the certification examination, and it helps the IAPM to guarantee that its trainers all satisfy its high knowledge requirements. If you select this option and your certificate has been recognized by the IAPM, fill in this form and we’ll send further information to you by e-mail. 

What are the technical requirements for taking the exam with Classmarker?

A current browser and a stable Internet connection are required for a smooth execution of the test. JavaScript and cookies must be activated (usually they are active by default). No plugins such as Java, Flash or ActiveX are necessary. Further information can also be found here.

What does the affidavit of the IAPM say?

Here you can take a look at the affidavit of the IAPM.

What is a project management certification?

A certification exam proves either your theoretical knowledge in the respective project management areas or your theoretical knowledge as well as your corresponding work experience. As an individual, a certification brings you objective confirmation of your knowledge and experience and thus advantages on the job market. Your market value increases and you have better chances for a position in project management. A company that has its employees certified has clear competitive advantages when preparing offers. Companies are more likely to be hired when employees have proven expertise.

What is a self-test?

The self-test is a stand-alone test that is independent of the actual certification exam. It gives you the opportunity to prepare for the certification exam in the form of a preparatory test. The self-test is not an exam and the result will not affect your final exam score. It is designed to help you identify areas of deficiency in your knowledge. For a self-test related to your desired certification, you can register here. There is a charge for taking the test. Once you have completed the self-test, you will receive an email from us within three working days with an evaluation of your test and recommendations on how to address any gaps in your knowledge. You can then decide whether to take your certification exam now, or to study on your own or attend a preparatory training course at one of our IAPM Training Partners. Please note that you can only take the self-test once and that the access link to the self-test is valid for 12 months from the date of registration. In the case of the Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Certified Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification, the preparatory test is called a "pre-test", and the cost of the pre-test is already included in the certification fee for the Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Certified Junior Agile Project Manager.

What is the Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

A certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) proves the theoretical basic knowledge of agile project management in the form of a certificate by an internationally recognized association. To obtain certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM), the certificate must pass an online exam. At least 65% of the 120 questions must be answered correctly within 80 minutes.

What is the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

The certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) is a certification that proves the knowledge in the field of international project management. The prospective examinee must take an online exam for this. He has to answer 80 questions about international project management within 60 minutes. To pass the exam, he must answer at least 65% of the questions correctly.

What is the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

The certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) provides the basic theoretical knowledge in the area of agile project management in form of a certificate by an international association. To get the Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification, the prospective examinee has to take an online exam. At least 65% of 40 questions must be answered correctly within 35 minutes.

What is the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

The certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) provides the basic theoretical knowledge in the area of traditional project management in form of a certificate by an international association. To get the Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) certification, the prospective certificate holder has to take an online exam. At least 65% of 40 questions must be answered correctly within 35 minutes.

What is the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

The certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) provides the basic theoretical knowledge in the area of traditional project management in the form of a certificate by an international association. To get the Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) certification, the prospective certificate holder has to take an online exam. At least 65% of 120 questions must be answered correctly within 80 minutes.

What is the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

The Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) is a certification level that proves the knowledge and comprehensive practical experience in agile project management. To obtain certification as Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM), the prospective examinee must pass an online exam. At least 65% of the 120 questions must be answered correctly within 80 minutes.

What is the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

The Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) is a certification level that proves the knowledge and comprehensive practical experience in traditional project management. To obtain certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM), the examinee must take an online exam. At least 65% of the 120 questions must be answered correctly within 80 minutes.

What is the difference between the Cert. Agile Project Manager and the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification?

The content of the exam is the same for both certifications, i.e. the respective test is generated randomly from the same pool of questions. During the certification to Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) only the theoretical knowledge in the field of agile project management is tested. Experience is not necessary, but advantageous. A Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) must have at least five years of practical experience in agile project management in addition to his specialist knowledge. Three years of this time should be proven to be in a management position or a position with considerable scope of responsibility.

What is the difference between the Cert. Project Manager and the Cert. Senior Project Manager certification?

The content of the exam is the same for both certifications, i.e. the respective test is generated randomly from the same pool of questions. During the certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) only the theoretical knowledge in the field of project management is tested. Experience is not necessary, but advantageous. A Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) must have at least five years of practical experience in project management in addition to his specialist knowledge. Three years of this time should be proven to be in a management position or a position with considerable scope of responsibility.

What is the difference between the IAPM and other project management associations?

The IAPM is committed to imparting practical knowledge. It deliberately distances itself from purely academic teaching content and is oriented towards what is required for active project work. This also includes the compatibility of the examination preparation with everyday work. The reduction of the teaching content to the essentials as well as self-organised learning make this possible. In addition, IAPM avoids costly recertification. An IAPM certification is valid for life, just like a university degree, driver's licence or high school diploma does not have to be repeated. Furthermore, the IAPM wants to give as many people as possible the opportunity to afford a certification. Therefore, the respective citizenship or the gross domestic product of this country decides on the amount of the costs for the certification.

What is the IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC)?

After your registration, the IAPM system generates your personal IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC). You will receive it together with your access data by e-mail after payment of your invoice. You can use this code to identify yourself when communicating with the IAPM. You will also need this code when you register for your exam and it is noted on your certificate so that your certificate can be verified by others via the IAPM website. For each test you register for, you will receive your own IAPMIC.

What is the International Association of Project Managers?

The IAPM International Association of Project Managers is a global project management association dedicated to supporting people interesting in project management and active project managers. This is implemented, on the one hand, in form of numerous certification options via the IAPM certification body. On the other hand, the IAPM offers a communication platform on which expertise and ideas can be shared, as well as fostering international cooperation. This happens through IAPM network meetings and IAPM Official meetings.

What is the pre-test?

The pre-test is a preparatory test for the Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Certified Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) certification. There is no extra charge for this test. It is included in the certification fee for Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Certified Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM), unlike the so-called "self-tests" of the other IAPM certifications. These have to be paid for separately. The pre-test is not an exam and the result will not affect your final exam result. It is designed to help you identify areas of deficiency in your knowledge. Once you have completed the pre-test, you will receive an email from us with an evaluation of your test and recommendations on how to address any gaps in your knowledge. You can then decide whether you want to take your Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM) or Certified Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) directly, or whether you want to study on your own or attend a preparatory training with one of our IAPM Training Partners. Please note that you can only take the pre-test once and that the access link to the pre-test and certification exam is valid for 12 months from the date of registration.

What is the process of the certification exam?

Once you have signed up for the certification and paid the invoice, you will receive an e-mail with your IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and the URL that will take you to the test system. If you have followed the link, please enter your IAPM Identification Code. In the next step you have to enter your name, first name and your e-mail address. On the following page you will find a summary of the exam data. By clicking the button "continue" you start your exam and the exam time starts to run.

What levels of certification does the IAPM offer?

The IAPM offers: Certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM)  Certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM)

When can I register for the certification exam?

Once you have received the e-mail with your IAPM Identification Code (IAPMIC) and the access link, you can sign up for the certification exam. Please note that the access link is only valid for 12 months from receipt of the invoice.

Which alternative do I have, if my experience is not sufficient for the Cert. Senior Agile Projecter Manager (IAPM) certification?

Based on the individual project data - a maximum of five projects can be named for scoring - and the project experience over the last five years, a total score is determined using a mathematical formula. For admission to certification as Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) must achieve a minimum score. If you do not reach the minimum score, you can apply for certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM). Once you have extended your project experience, you can upgrade the certification to Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM).

Which alternative do I have, if my experience is not sufficient for the Cert. Senior Projecter Manager (IAPM) certification?

Based on the individual project data - a maximum of five projects can be named for scoring - and the project experience over the last five years, a total score is determined using a mathematical formula. For admission to certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) must achieve a minimum score. If you do not reach the minimum score, you can apply for certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM). Once you have extended your project experience, you can upgrade the certification to Cert. Senior Project Managers (IAPM).

Which are the technical requirements to be able to pass the exam with Classmarker?

For a smooth running of the exam, a current browser is required as well as a stable internet connection. JavaScript and cookies must be enabled (they are usually enabled by default). No plugins like Java, Flash or ActiveX are required. Further information can also be found here.

Which certification level is suitable for me?

Depending on your level of knowledge and project management experience, you can choose the certification that suits you best. Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM): This certification is suitable for project management newcomers, students or anyone new to project management who wants to have the basic project management knowledge and set the course for the future in project management. Cert. Project Manager (IAPM): This certification level requires basic knowledge in project management. This knowledge is required to theoretically plan, organise and execute a project well. Work experience is not required for this certification. Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM): The Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) is a certification level that demonstrates your knowledge and extensive practical experience in project management. The practical experience must be at least five years, three years of which in a managerial position or a position with considerable leadership responsibility. Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM): This certification is suitable for newcomers to agile project management / scrum, students or those new to project management, who want to demonstrate their agile project management skills and set the course for their future in agile project management. Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM): This certification level demonstrates your basic knowledge in Agile Project Management. This knowledge is required to organise and execute an agile project in theory. Work experience is not required for this certification. Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM): Here, both your basic knowledge and many years of practical experience in agile project management is certified. The practical experience should be at least five years in agile projects, three of them in a management position or a position with considerable management responsibility. Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM): This is where your basic theoretical knowledge in the field of "International Project Management" is certified. Prerequisite for the certification is an already successfully passed certification to Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM). Work experience is not a requirement for this certification.

Which certification levels are offered by the IAPM?

The IAPM offers: Certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) Certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) Certification to Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) Certification to Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM)

Which examination system does the IAPM use?

The IAPM uses the proven Classmarker exam system, which is also used at numerous well-known companies as B. Microsoft, Philipps or Stanford University.

Which PM Guides are offered by the IAPM?

The IAPM offers the following PM Guides: Project Managers' Guide (IAPM): This covers the topics of traditional project management. Agile Project Managers' Guide (IAPM): This covers the topics of agile project management. International PM Guide 2.0: This covers the topics of international project management.

Which requirements do I have to fulfil in order to pass the certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM)?

For certification as Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) there are no access requirements. Anyone who has dealt with agile project management and would like to prove his knowledge can register for this certification.

Which requirements do I have to fulfil in order to pass the certification as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM)?

In addition to expertise in international project management, the certification level as Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) requires a successfully passed certification to Cert. Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM), Cert. Agile Project Manager (IAPM) or Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM). However, if you already have an adequate certificate from another certification organisation, you can register for IAPM certificate recognition. If your certificate is recognized, you hereby have the admission requirement for the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM).

Which requirements do I have to fulfil in order to pass the certification as Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM)?

In addition to expertise, the Cert. Senior Project Manager (IAPM) requires at least five years of project management experience, three years of those in a management position or a position with considerable responsibility.

Which requirements do I have to fulfill in order to pass the certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM)?

For certification as Cert. Junior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) there are no access requirements. Anyone who is interested in project management and would like to prove their knowledge can apply for this certification.

Which requirements do I have to fulfill in order to pass the certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM)?

For certification as Cert. Junior Project Manager (IAPM) there are no access requirements. Anyone who is interested in project management and would like to prove his knowledge can apply for this certification.

Which requirements do I have to fulfill in order to pass the certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM)?

For certification as Cert. Project Manager (IAPM) there are no access requirements. Anyone who has dealt with project management and would like to prove his knowledge can apply for this certification.

Which requirements do I have to fulfill in order to pass the certification as the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM)?

In addition to expertise, the Cert. Senior Agile Project Manager (IAPM) requires at least five years of project management experience, three years of those in a management position or a position with considerable responsibility.

Why do costs of certification dependent on citizenship?

The IAPM is an international association and takes this circumstance account. On the basis of their real life situation, people worldwide should be able to take the opportunity to have their knowledge and experience certified in project management. Therefore, the prices for IAPM certifications are based on the gross domestic product of the country whose citizenship the prospective examnee holds. The IAPM also offers people from countries with weak GDP the possibility of certification.

Why do I have to "confirm" the affidavit?

Since the IAPM does not take face-to-face examination situations into account, you guarantee in the form of the affidavit that you take your exam independently and without any help. In case of proven infringement, the IAPM reserves the right to take legal actions.

Why do I have to give my identity card number when registering for certification?

IAPM requires proof of citizenship to calculate the cost of your certification. This proof is provided by handing in the identity card number.

Why does the IAPM recognize certificates from other organisations?

With a certificate recognition you will get a certificate without having to re-take an exam, so you can qualify for the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM) exam. But certificate recognition does not oblige you to be certified as the Cert. International Project Manager (IAPM). An IAPM certificate remains valid and does not need to be recertified for a lifetime. The certificate of another PM organisation can still be kept. Please note: The recognition of certificates of participation/ completion or certificates which were achieved without an examination is not possible.

Why is a preparation training for the exam not mandatory for an IAPM certification?

In order to give as many project managers as possible the opportunity for certification, the IAPM would like to give the prospective examinees the freedom to prepare for the certification individually, according to their personal circumstances and preferences. Whether the examinee acquires knowledge in the form of seminars or in self-study does not matter.

Why is it not necessary to renew / recertify a certificate on a regular basis?

Each certificate and each examination result documents the state of knowledge at the time of the examination acceptance. Like a high school diploma, a university degree or a driver's license, an IAPM certificate does not have to be renewed. The IAPM believes that every responsible project manager independently expands his knowledge and experience. The IAPM does not see itself as a supervisory body. For this reason, it deliberately avoids costly and time-consuming recertifications.

Why is it not possible to receive the certificate as a hard copy?

For ecological and sustainability reasons, we no longer offer printed certificates, i.e. our certificates are only available in digital form. Therefore, it is unfortunately not possible to send you the certificate by mail. Furthermore, as an internationally operating organisation, a worldwide shipment is linked to some challenges for us. Even if you are located in Liechtenstein, we unfortunately cannot make any exceptions. However, you can have your certificate printed on high-quality paper on your own and show this certificate to your manager or when applying for a job. Your certificate can of course be validated.

The IAPM certification

The certification can be taken via a reputable online examination procedure. The costs are based on the gross domestic product of your country of origin.

From the IAPM Blog

Become a Network Official

Do you want to get involved in project management in your environment and contribute to the further development of project management? Then become active as an IAPM Network Official or as a Network Official of the IAPM Network University. 

For better readability, we usually only use the generic masculine form in our texts. Nevertheless, the expressions refer to members of all genders.