- No professional experience necessary
- Reputated online examination system
- Flexible examination date
- Internationally recognised certificate
- Competitive advantage in job application processes
- No recertification necessary
About the certification
How to get certified
- You can either prepare for the certification examination yourself using our recommended literature or take part in a training partner workshop.
- You can check your knowledge level once with the “Selftest“ (25 questiones within 20 minutes), which provides you with feedback on any gaps in your project management knowledge. It also gives you an idea of the kind of questions and level of difficulty you can expect in the examination. The "Selftest" can only be done once.
- When you feel that you have an adequate knowledge level, you can register to take the certification examination.
- Your registration details are checked by the IAPM. Then you are sent an e-mail invoice which you have to pay within 30 days.
- When payment has been received, you will be sent an e-mail with your login data for the IAPM certification system so that you can take your examination.The login data will be valid for 6 month.
- If you achieve the necessary pass rate of 65% you will receive your personal IAPM certificate by e-mail after a few days. You can also request a certificate printed on high quality paper, which is subject to an extra charge.
- The certificate provides you with life-long proof of your theoretical project management knowledge. It is an advantage in job application processes and can help you to make career progress.
What does the "Certified Project Manager (IAPM)" certification cost?
Please select your nationality to view the fee that applies to you.
Please note that the discount for students, schoolchildren and job seekers is not granted for "Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM)" certification!
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat is the IAPM?
"Certified Project Manager (IAPM)" certification is for people who want to effectively manage and implement projects. The certificate is proof of theoretical project management knowledge.
There is no need to furnish proof of practical experience when you register for certification. If you already have more than 5 years of professional experience in project management, "Certified Senior Project Manager (IAPM)" certification may be the better choice of certification for you.
"Certified Project Manager (IAPM)" certification confirms your theoretical project management knowledge, which includes knowledge on both soft skills and hard facts. Certification can tip the balance in your favour when you're looking for a new job or changing careers. It demonstrates your knowledge in project management, which sets you apart from your rivals.
The certificate also makes you eligible for "Certified International Project Manager (IAPM)" certification, which is only available to IAPM certificate holders*.
As an IAPM certificate holder, you will also receive regular invitations to regional Network Meetings where you can meet other project managers and listen to interesting presentations.
*) With the exception of "Certified Junior Project Manager (IAPM)" certificate holders
The selftest (25 questions within 20 minutes) reveals any gaps in your knowledge. It gives you an idea of what the certification examination is like and allows you to check your knowledge level. When you have completed the selftest you will receive an e-mail with information about your knowledge level and recommendations. The selftest can only be done once.
You can take part in a preparatory workshop held by one of our training partners. The workshops practically communicate and illustrate all relevant content. You can find a training partner near to you here.
If you don’t want to attend a workshop, you can also study for the examination yourself. The PM Guide 2.0 provides you with an overview of the topics covered in the certification examination.
Recommended reading to increase your depth of knowledge can be found here.
The certification examination has 120 questions and the candidate has to answer 65% of them correctly to pass. The time allowed is 80 minutes. You receive your examination results by e-mail.
On average, candidates achieve a score of around 74% in our certification examinations.
The certification examination questions relate to all topics covered by the PM Guide 2.0. These are for example:
Project management hard facts:
- Project check
- Project file
- Project environment
- Project charter
- Steering committee and core team
- Phase model
- Work breakdown structure
- Work package
- Cost breakdown structure/ budget
- Process/ time schedule
- Risk analysis
- Sub-project manager and work package owner
- Line, matrix and autonomous
- Project start-up
- Project review
- Project close-out
Project management soft skills:
- Team building
- Working in the project team
- Conflict management
- Time management
- Personal success
- Stress management
If you fail the examination, you can retake it with different questions. In this case, you have to pay the examination fee again. If you also fail this second examination, you have to wait for 12 months before you can have another attempt. If you fail for a third time, you are excluded from any further IAPM certification examinations and will not be able to retake the examination again.
The IAPM’s fees are based on the certification candidate’s nationality. This ensures that project managers of all nations can afford our certifications.
You can find information about the fee for the certification and preparatory test that applies to your nationality on our website in the Fee information section. Please remember that IAPM fees are in Swiss francs (CHF) and the corresponding euro or dollar value can fluctuate from day to day, depending on the conversion rate. Invoices are issued in Swiss francs (CHF).